Thursday, June 2, 2011

Our First Trip

We survived our first trip out of town!  We always made a point with Piper  to start traveling immediately.  In fact, we took our first eight hour trip when she was just eight weeks old.  Boy was that easy compared to last weekend.

We made our way from Lexington to Cleveland last Friday.  Per our request, none of the kids were allowed their normal naps in hopes that they would sleep the majority of the trip.  When I got off work I frantically came home and finished packing (which, I think I packed enough clothes for the little ones to have stayed a month), loaded the car and picked up the kids.  Unfortunately, this process took so long that Finley passed out at daycare.  When I got there, I couldn't actually wake her up but managed to convince her to eat a bottle in her sleep.  Sully on the other hand was awake, but so tired he couldn't eat.  Then there was Piper who was so excited that she asked nearly every five minutes for the first hour if we were there yet...classic!  What once was a five hour trip took us a little over six hours.  Everyone slept a good portion of the way and it was really just the last hour that Finley was a little on the fussy side.

The weekend was awesome.  We had a great time visiting family, old friends and the zoo.  Piper had so much fun playing with her cousins, she passed out face first in the middle of the living room floor Saturday night (and no, no alcohol was involved on her part!)  The party went on around her until close to 3 am.

The trip home is where the fun came to a screeching halt!  Piper cried for nearly the first forty-five minutes that she didn't want to go home (and when I say cried, I actually mean screamed).  When she finally stopped and fell asleep, Finley started; shortly there after, Sully chimed in.  About an hour and a half into the trip we made our first stop to feed the little ones.  They ate...a little.  Then we got back on the road which started the sequence all over.  Piper cried.  Finley cried.  Sully cried.  It was just a matter of time before the dog started howling and mommy felt the need to cry.  Lets just say that my stomach isn't quite as "iron" as it was before I ever got pregnant.  I get carsick, thus the desire to  cry!

Three more stops, a few more tears, a little tylenol and some very loud music and we were finally home!  We survived and we know now we can do it-we just may wait a while before we voluntarily do it again though.

No comments:

Post a Comment